Sat, Jun 17|
HEY ATHABASCA! Show us your MEAT!
Backyard BBQ Competition . Looking for the best RIBS in the NORTH!
Time & Location
Jun 17, 2023, 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Athabasca, Highway 813 & RR224, Athabasca, AB T9S 2A9, Canada
About the event
HEY ATHABASCA! Show us your MEAT!!
Welcome to the first annual Backyard BBQ Rib competition in Athabasca! We are looking for the best Ribs in the north!
Come show off your skills !
Early bird registration & entry fee of $60 until May 31, after May 31 fee bumps to $100
• This is a Pork Ribs Only Competition, meat will be provided.
• Please see below for completed rules/regulations, by submitting this form, the contestants agree they have read and will abide by all rules/regulations set forth and established by the Athabasca District Ag Society.
Check In Time is 8:00am—10:00am, all teams must be set up by 10:00am
First Place ($250) + Trophy
Second Place ($150)
Third Place ($75)
One 6 Foot table will be provided for each team. Each contestant shall supply all thier cooking ingredients, cooking devices, utensils and extra tables. Some electrical will be available, please book ahead of time if required.
Schedule of Events:
- 3 pm-8 pm : Tack and Trade Show
- 5 pm-8 pm : Community Weiner Roast ($5 entry)
- 8 am-10 am: Contestants show up/ set up
- 9am - 3pm: Kids Demo Rodeo
- 9:45 AM: Head chef meeting
- 10am-4pm: Antique Tractors Display
- 10am-6pm: Lawn Games
- 10am-3pm: Bench Show Display
- 11am-3pm: Tack Show and Vendor Sale
- 10am-4 pm: Amatuer BBQ Competition
- 1130am-630pm: 4H Concession
- 4pm: Bench Show Judging & Results
- 4 pm: BBQ hand in & Judging Results
- 7pm: Dance & Cabaret
Please Note: Propane BBQ’s are NOT PERMITTED
Athabasca District Ag Society BACKYARD BBQ COMPETITION Rules and Regulations :
1. Contest is open to the general public for pork ribs.
2. Set up will be from 8:00am – 10: 00 am the morning of the competition. All teams must be set up by 10:00am. It is your team’s choice what time to start, you are welcome to begin as soon as you choose once set up between 8:00am‐10:00am.
3. Each team will consist of a chief cook and as many assistants as the chief cook deems necessary.
4. There will be a mandatory head chef meeting at 9:45am.
5. All seasoning and cooking of product shall be done within the confines of the team’s assigned cooking space. After cooking meat must be maintained at a minimum temperature of 140 degrees Fahrenheit. An organizer will stop by each station to inspect the meat.
6. Each contestant shall supply all thier cooking ingredients, cooking devices, utensils and prep tables. Some electrical will be available, please book ahead of time if required.
7. Cooker can only be wood, pellets, charcoal or electric. No gas grills permitted.
8. Fires may not be built on the ground.
9. Pits, cookers, props, tents or any other equipment may not exceed the boundaries of the team’s assigned cooking space. Tents must be fire resistant and 10’ x 10’ or smaller.
10. Fresh water points will be available on the grounds.
11. No live animals are allowed in the cooking area.
12. No use of any tobacco products.
13. The event will be licensed. Alcohol may not be brought in by competitors, it must be purchased at the event.
14.. Competitors may not sell food, but samples are permitted.
15. Causes for disqualification:
a. Excessive use of alcoholic beverages by a team, its members and/or guests.
b. Use of controlled substances by a team, its members and/or guests.
c. Foul, abusive or unacceptable language by a team, its members and/or guests.
d. Use of gas or any other auxiliary heat source inside the pit.
16. Cleanliness of the cook, assistant cooks and contest area is required. Sanitation of work area should be implemented with the use of a bleach/water rinse.
17. Each team must bring a fire extinguisher to keep near the pit – 5 pounds ABC minimum.
18. Judging will begin at 4:00 pm. The allowable turn in time will be five minutes before to five minutes after the posted time, with no exceptions.
19. Entries will be submitted in the numbered container supplied by the contest organizer.
20. Each contestant must submit at least six separated and identifiable portions of meat in a container.
21. Entries are scored based on APPEARANCE, TENDERNESS AND TASTE. Taste score is doubled. The lowest score will be dropped, but will be used to break a tie. The scoring system is from 9 (excellent), 5 (average) to 1 (bad).
22. Marking of any kind of the meat or container will result in a disqualification. This includes, but is not limited to painting, sculpting or decorating. No aluminum foil or stuffing is allowed in the container. No toothpicks or foreign material is permitted.
23. Awards will take place at 5:00 pm at in the hall. There will be first, second and third place winners.
24. After the competition, all fires must be extinguished.
Teams are responsible for clean‐up of their area immediately following the contest. No ashes shall be left on site, however there will be a dump site for coals.
Early Bird : BBQ Team
Early bird tickets until June 1st 6pm. Price goes up to $75 after that.$60.00+$1.50 service feeSale ended
BBQ Team$60.00+$1.50 service feeSale ended
Do you need power for the day? Please bring your own cords.$0.00